Sunday, September 14, 2014

Shrimp Scampi (with hidden veggies!)

This "Shrimp Scampi" Reminds me of an adult version of Mac and Cheese.

(Disclaimer: I usually cook by making up a recipe that is "based on a real recipe" or some hodge podge in my brain so I mostly cook by taste and smell using ethnic flavors as my guidelines and this is my attempt to start writing some down for those times when I fall in a rut)

Step 1: Puree a bunch of random veggies together (and throw it in the freezer because you are going on vacation and don't know what else to do with everything)
-I used Potatoes, Green Beans, and Zucchini (seasoned with some bone broth, garlic, onions, salt probably)
It didn't go over well as baby food so I had to come up with another idea...

Step 2: Make the sauce
- Saute some shrimp with garlic and butter (whatever you want really)
-  add maybe a cup of the veggie puree (if cooking for 2-3 people)
- season with some lemon juice, salt, pepper, "scampi seasoning blend"
- add some frozen peas and a little Parmesan cheese for good measure
- thicken the sauce if desired (I used a tablespoon of arrowroot powder)

Step 3: Mix in the noodles - linguine

It resulted in a really sticky/cheesy sauce without any cheese really. Yum!

... side note... I'm not a fan of freezing the DIY squeeze pouches (especially if your kid decides they don't like the flavor). It takes up too much room and is difficult to warm up. I would rather freeze the puree and warm it up separately and put it in the squeeze pouch before serving (faster, less mess than spoon feeding, plus kids gobble it up). I'm not sure if I would recommend taking the homemade ones on the go yet... only do flavors that are good cold and double bag it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment