Thursday, May 3, 2012

Homemade pasta

I let myself go to Goodwill and I found an Imperia pasta machine for $5! Except I found out it was missing the handle. I did not feel like paying $16 for a replacement handle online so Prince Charming crafted this wonderful handle out of a hanger! I was so impressed. It got the job done, but someday I think I'm going to need something a little more solid.

 I served this pasta with cilantro pesto and some garlic mushrooms. Yum! Prince Charming thinks it's amazing too.


Whole Wheat Pasta Recipe:
3 cups flour
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp oil
Water as needed

Mix the dough. Mine was too solid to actually be mixed the bread hook on the Bosch, so I just finished it by hand - it felt like a brick. The dough should not be sticky or else it will get stuck in the machine.
Then let the dough rest for 30 minutes.
Then I got to try our my machine! I rolled it on the widest setting first and then on a thin setting and then through the noodle slicer. It was a little tricky handling long sections of dough. I'm sure I'll figure out a better technique in the future.
Let the pasta air dry for at least 15 minutes to avoid clumping. I separated out the noodles, but I don't know how necessary that was. It seemed logical. I kind of wanted a pasta drying rack so that I could hang up all of my noodles. 
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. These fresh noodles only needed to cook for 3 minutes. I did it in a few smaller batches so that it wouldn't be too crowded. 
Probably makes 8-10 servings...

I also made some giant lasagna type noodles for tomorrow night because I did not have room to lay out any more cut noodles. Maybe I'll even use them to do a lasagna roll...
I made the curly pasta by wrapping it around a skewer and letting it dry for a while in that shape.So fun! It would make a great gift to give someone a bunch of dried homemade curly noodle sticks - and they would make a pretty decoration. I'll have to see how well homemade pasta dries.
I just had a really great idea I'm going to try sometime: make letters out of the pasta! maybe even write your name in cursive! It would be fun for kids- assuming it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment